TODO: insert links to specific tips for black-/whitebox
Regardless on the level-of-detail or abstraction level you’re currently documenting or specifying: Use uniform:
- whitebox representations to (graphically) explain structures and inner workings
- blackbox representation to explain responsibiliy and interfaces of single building blocks
Every whitebox explains the internal structure and internal interfaces of a “higher-level blackbox”, usually by a diagram and some textual explanation.
You might use UML or any box/arrow kind of diagram.
- explain responsibilities and interfaces of a building block,
- respect the information-hiding principle, thus avoiding disclosure of internal details
- can be either tabular or graphical
Other tips in this section refer to both black- and whiteboxes.